How to Get a Birth Certificate
The Arizona Office of Vital Records has birth records ONLY for births that occurred in Arizona. If you need a certified copy of a birth certificate from another state, you must contact that state's vital records office. The Arizona Office of Vital Records has information about where to go for other states.
To request a birth certificate, you must be 18 years old and an immediate family member of the registrant (the person on the birth certificate). If you are not the person on the birth certificate or the parent of the person, you must show proof of your relationship. Call (602) 364-1300 or, within Arizona, (888) 816-5907 to listen to a recorded message with this information. This can save you time and frustration.
Specific fees for purchasing a birth certificate, are located at Arizona Department of Health Services, Division of Public Health.
All requests must be in writing. An incomplete application will delay the processing of your request. Download and print an application form or include all of the following information in the request:
- The full name, date of birth, and place of birth (city and county) of the registrant (the person named on the birth certificate).
- The registrant's mother's full maiden name and the father's full name.
- Your relationship to the person on the birth certificate.
- The reason you are requesting a copy.
- Your signature and your telephone number.
- Apply in person with the information listed above at 1818 West Adams, Phoenix, AZ 85007. Hours: M-F 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM. (Arrive before 4:00 PM.)
- Bring a valid government-issued picture I.D with your signature. If you are not the person on the birth certificate or the parent of the person named on the certificate, you must provide proof of eligibility.
- Bring both your payment: $10 if the birth occurred after 1990, and $15 if the birth occurred before 1990 payable by cash (in person only), traveler’s check, money order, or a major credit card.
- Same day service is only available for births occurring from 1990 to present. All others mailed. Allow two to four weeks for processing. There is no pickup service.
- Download and print an application form or provide all of the information listed above.
- Include complete record information, a clear copy of your valid government-issued picture identification (such as a driver's license) or your notarized signature.
- Include your payment in the form of a traveler's check, cashier's check, or money-order for the exact amount, payable to Office of Vital Records, P.O. Box 3887, Phoenix, AZ 85030. DO NOT SEND CASH.
- Major credit cards are also accepted. If you choose to pay by credit card, please write the full card number and expiration date and print your name as it appears on the card on your application and sign it. DO NOT send a copy of your credit card.
- Certified copies of birth certificates for births occurring 1990 to present are $10.00 each. However, check the office of vital records fee service schedule to confirm the fee amount before requesting a birth certificate.
- Expedited service can be made through the Office of Vital Record’s internet ordering service VitalCheck.com or by fax to (602) 249-3040
- All requests made by fax or through VitalChek.com are returned via Federal Express (See fee schedule below), and your request will be processed within 3-5 business days from the date all requirements are met.
- You may download a faxable application form or apply on the Internet at VitalChek.com. When filing a request through VitalChek.com, you will need a major credit card and there is an additional $6.50 expedited service fee for VitalChek service.
- If you have any questions about this procedure call (877) 803-0609 or, within Arizona, (888) 816-5907 for a recorded message detailing this process.
- If ordering by fax, you must fax the completed application to (866) 346-1904 along with a legible copy of your valid government-issued picture identification or your notarized signature, your physical address (Federal Express will not deliver to a Post Office Box). You will also need to include your credit card information. DO NOT fax a copy of your credit card.
- Your request will be processed within 3-5 business days from the date all requirements are met. Actual delivery time will vary depending on the Federal Express.
- Certified copy of birth certificate Birth dates 1990 to present $10.00 (per copy)
- Certified copy of birth certificate Birth dates prior to 1990 $15.00 (per copy)
- Expedited service fee $6.50 (per transaction)
- FedEx delivery fee Within 48 contiguous continental states $14.00 (per transaction)
- FedEx delivery fee Canada and Mexico $24.00 (per transaction)
- FedEx delivery fee Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii $23.00 (per transaction)
How to Get a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate