Choosing Where to Live

Questions & Answers

Question: Can I install grab bars, lower my countertops or make other needed modifications against my landlord’s objections?


Yes, you have the legal right to do so if you have a medical condition or disability, and the modifications are necessary for your "full enjoyment of the premises." You may have to pay for the modifications yourself, and promise that you will return the apartment to its original state when you move out, but your landlord cannot prohibit such changes.

If you feel a landlord has violated your rights in this area, you can file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's Office or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). For more information on your rights, you could call Community Legal Services or the Department of Consumer Affairs for a referral to a local tenant's rights office or check the HUD Web site.

October 04, 2006